Thursday, March 13, 2008

Spring Activity

I’m finally feeling almost normal! Thank God for good drugs. The weather is beautiful and after being housebound for so long, I was feeling a bit ‘antsy’ for some fresh air. I wanted to explore the property to see what wildlife was present, but knew that I didn’t have the stamina to walk ---and then -- Abigail to the rescue! My 9yr old granddaughter came over to get me in the Easy Go – a rancher’s answer to a golf cart. She handled that thing like a pro and carted me all over the yard.
We drove to the back of the property where there is a large pond/small lake. The water seemed to be a bit high to me and as we explored further we found that we have a very active beaver. This little guy has been busily taking down small cedar and alders and plugging the fish ladder. It is amazing how much they can accomplish in a short time. Abby & I sat quietly by the water watching some wood ducks when I noticed a fairly large ripple in the water. I pointed it out to Ab & we inched closer to the bank. As we continued to watch, a beaver swam past us and circled the pond. It was hard for us to contain our excitement and remain still. The beaver made three passes – and then -- WHAP WHAP WHAP --slapped its tail on the water. Boy – guess he was telling us!! Get away from my home! At that point, Abby & both giggled with glee and the beaver dove out of sight.
Unfortunately, we will have to trap the little guy and destroy his new house. He can’t block the fish ladder. I’m hoping that we can take him to my old house/property in Corbett. There he has 100’s of acres, Trout Creek and the Sandy River to play with. I will try to get a photo of him -- in the meantime, Abby got some good pics of his latest work!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are feel better... and HOW COOL is a BEAVER... that will be LOTS of fun to see his handy work through out the year.

    Give Abby a Hug for me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Exciting!! I so envy you with all that beautiful and majestic country surrounding you!

    Happy Easter, Friend!!!

    ReplyDelete